SPRING-FORD AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
A Message from SFAHS's President
Once called "The Pulse of the Schuylkill Valley," Royersford and Spring City were busy manufacturing towns with major stove foundries, knitting mills, glass works and numerous other businesses.
Chartered as "Springville" on August 12, 1867, the name was changed to Spring City in 1872. The early growth of this town began with the opening of the Schuylkill Navigation Canal in 1824.
Royer's Ford became chartered as Royersford on June 14, 1879. Its earlier growth was due to the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad which started running in 1840.
Although separated by the river and located in two different counties, Chester and Montgomery, the two boroughs have been "intertwined" with families, churches, and businesses, and since 1955 with the jointure of the Spring-Ford Area School District.
The Spring-Ford Area Historical Society, a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization, is a group of volunteers who operate a museum of artifacts, print materials, and other research items that are connected to the boroughs of Spring City and Royersford.
I invite you to join the society, visit the museum, attend our programs, and become active in helping us to preserve the history and heritage of the Spring-Ford area.
Amy Demchik (email@example.com)
The Spring-Ford Area Historical Society exists for the purpose of preserving the past for the future. The society was formed for the promotion and development of information and exhibits of historical value for the Spring-Ford area to include research, publication, acquisition, and preservation of property. This is accomplished by the accumulation of artifacts representing the area, including industries and businesses, history of the area, and establishing a free public museum.
Formed in 1984, the Spring-Ford Area Historical Society's museum was first housed in the renovated Pennsylvania RR Station in Royersford. Later, it was moved to the Bard Community Center. In 2000, the Lewin farm house and barn were purchased and the barn was renovated as The Gallery. In 2008, the society completed the restoration and renovation of the 1875 J.M. Lewin Cobbler Shop.